Monday, September 29, 2008

What is a friend?

A friend shared this quote with me, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to share it with you....

"What is a friend? I will tell you. It is a person with whom you dare to be yourself. Your soul can be naked with him. He seems to ask of you to put on nothing, only to be what you are. He does not want you to be better or worse. When you are with him, you feel as a prisoner feels who has been declared innocent. You do not have to be on your guard. You can say what you think, so long as it is genuinely you. He understands those contradictions in your nature that lead others to misjudge you. With him you breathe freely. You can avow your little vanities and envies and hates and vicious sparks, your meannesses and absurdities and, in opening them up to him, they are lost, dissolved on the white ocean of his loyality. He understands. You do not have to be careful. You can abuse him, neglect him, tolerate him. Best of all, you can keep still with him. It makes no matter. He likes you. He is like fire that purges to the bone. He understands. You can weep with him, sin with him, laugh with him, pray with him. Through it all - and underneath - he sees, knows and loves you.
A friend? What is a friend?Just one, I repeat, with whom you dare to be yourself." ~ C. Raymond Beran ~

I once used my blog as a soap box to tear someone down. I learned my lesson. It was not helpful. It did not prove my point. It hurt those who read it. Did I feel better by writing it? Maybe. Could I have vented my feelings another way than on a public blog? Probably. Will I ever do that again? Nope.

But, I do think it's okay, on a public forum to thank my friends, and family, (you know who you are) who have kept me sane....and saved me from myself. Those who have not and do not judge me. Those who love me unconditionally. Those who make me laugh, bring me up, and make me feel like I matter to them. Those who give me their opinion and give it to me in the most honest way possible because I need to hear it. Those who can laugh at me, but only when I'm laughing too. Those who can see what I need, and help me without even asking. Those who will stay up all night talking if I need. Those who will take Kira with 2 seconds notice when I need "me" time. Those who understand my crazy moments, and love me for them. Those who support me, cheer me on, and act as my rock when things are falling apart. Those who are glad just to sit around and do nothing with me just because I'm fun to hang out with. Those who listen to my rants and pretend they understand them.

Thank you to those who are just okay with me being me. I am not perfect. I do the best I can. I am grateful to those who love me.... inspite of me.

1 comments:

Angela said...

Perfect! I love it when you can just hang out, be yourself and not have to "entertain" the people you are around. It definitely makes you feel like you are with a good friend!