Thursday, September 11, 2008

Chance made us Friends, Hearts made us Sisters

On the Cruise
My wedding day

McMurdie's Homecoming


Bear Lake

Our Utah mom and dad

Mansion Park Apartment


Moab


Utah or Bust

I'm going to guess this was before the "after party"

When we were younger...

It was the summer after my Sophmore year...I was working as a counselor in a summer program called EOF. It was the first meeting of all the staff, and I see this girl...another white girl (mind you, my school had a lot of minorities.) I, first of all, was determined not to like her, especially when I found out she had MY name. What the heck??? Well, that summer changed my life. Not only did I have a blast, but I found a friend for life. A friend who has been there for me through thick, and thin and one who I know that I will be friends with for the next 50 years. If I had it my way, we'd follow through with our plans, and become old ladies together living in ranches side by side. We haven't always kept in touch the way we should, and really...I know I need to head back east to see her....but I could go 10 years without talking to her and I know it'd be just like I'd never left New Jersey. Most of you don't know her--because she lives back east, but this is my happy birthday to her...all the way from dang Utah...

My sitter,

We skipped class way too many times to count, and pulled way too many shananigans that I'm suprised we really didn't get in more trouble. I'll never forget our trip to New York with unauthorized guests, and our millions of trips that were probably against the rules--I have lots of pics of those, but did not post them to protect the innocent....Our late nights at the clubs, my 21st birthday, our 1 bedroom apartment--with how many people staying with us? Our one and only fight (over our brothers for heck's sake)...our rides in the suzuki and firebird...I miss that car. You're one of the few that rode in my honda before I wrecked it....Remember when we'd watch the rain from the porch? I miss those late nights when we'd just sit and talk until we'd fall asleep...about life, and love...and fate. I could list a handful of boys' names, but what good would that do? You know you helped me mend my broken heart many times over and get over many ended friendships. I miss our roadtrips, same taste in music, sharing shoes....my shoe supply was seriously hurting when I moved out here. I miss swinging on the swings in the park late at night..and did you know you're the only girl I've ever spooned? lol. I'll never forget watching the stars at night, pulling pranks on the boys during the summer program, our dedicated workouts at the gym and swimming lessons....the summer I barely survived when you were away at Disney...our little primary kids, Chris Ledoux--Look at you girl (awwwh...the memories). I miss those days of living together, or the ones when you lived at home, but basically lived with me. I'll never forget the wall we had in the apartment with drawings from the kids, and balloons we had taped up---terrible decorating skills. Remember one of the best Valentine's days ever--with our secret admirers sneaking in? Awwh....And remember Mr. Hip Hop Abs saving us from the looney guys at the club who we didn't want to talk to...? And how every time we went out anywhere we thought it was cool to wear candy necklaces? I've had fun roadtrips since our trip out here, but seriously, how many hot truckers could we have picked up in that hot little car? I could go on for days...and I'm smiling as I type because I keep remembering such fun memories...they are all fun of you...every single one.

I'll never forget the day you left here...and I stayed...and how I knew that things would never be the same. But, it was meant to be....and obviously we know that. We're both married now...and have kids...and our lives have continued. I am thankful today, on your birthday, that you were born, and you and I have been friends for so many years. I have new friends, and new memories with other people, but I will never have another friend like you. Thank you, my sister, for being there for me all these years....and for helping me make some of the best memories ever.

Steph :)

4 comments:

Brooke said...

AW! Look at you! That's probably like the sweetest thing I've ever read! I'm glad you have a friend that you love that much!

Stephanie said...

My Sitter- You sure know how to make a girl cry don't ya. I wish you were here or I was there... I can't really decide where I like it better. Actually, I wish we were both somewhere where it never got below 68 degrees like Florida. Even St. Thomas where it is 85 all year round would be fabulous! The ranches side by side somewhere warmer is still my plan for the future. I wish I knew your baby and saw you as the awesome Mommy that I know you are. I wish my kiddies called you Aunt Steffie cause we saw each other so much that they thought you were family. You definately brought back some memories. Some that I haven't thought about in a long time. The fight always gets me. Especially since our brothers were fighting with each other causing us to fight with each other and they were friends again within minutes hangin on the step or balcony one or the other smokin. All the while, we were still angry for like the next hour. Silly girls we are. I'll never forget when we met as TA's on the same floor. I felt the same about you as you did me. I already knew most of the other employees and I was not about to be friends with the other white girl with MY NAME either. There's this song on the kids station by Lisa Loeb that reminds me of it. It says "When I first met you, I didn't think I'd like you. Now that I know you, you could be my best friend." Before we knew it, we were "the Stephanies'" and you were my best friend. I'll never forget how often you checked your alarm clock or how when you cleaned up our room, you just stuffed all your stuff in your half of the closet. Then there was that time we were talkin about the person you had just got of the phone with but you never actually hung up so they heard the whole conversation. Yikes! I'll never forget seeing your whole car accident in my rear view mirror and the chills it sent down my spine, your job at Friendly's and the ice cream deliveries, playing spoons or playing that name game with the singles at our apartment. Without you I don't know if I'd found the church or learned to decorate my envelopes or to make those candy cards which numerous people have benifitted from. Without you I may have never fallen in love with country music before I had a chance to oopose it. I never would've met Chris, the first boy I was ever psychotic about or Terry, the boy that was psychotic about me. I am greatful for the unconditional love we share. I am greatful that we can always pick up where we left off and I am greatful to have the bestest friend a person could ever have. You have touched my life in ways that could never be explained by words and for you I am greatful. You have always been one of my most favorite people and I would even say that I may even be your biggest fan.

Stephanie said...

Me? Stuff my closet full of junk when I'm supposed to be cleaning? NEVER!!!! Okay, so some things never change, but I'm tryin' to get a handle on it. lol.

Becca said...

Good friends are priceless!