Last night was the hardest "Kira" night that I've ever had. And, really...in comparison to other nights that other mothers have, it wasn't that bad. But, for me...it's ranked up pretty high with nights I don't want to repeat.
We went to Grandma's house for the afternoon/evening --that was fun...and after a little bit of being home I told Kenny I'd hit "my wall" and to anyone who knows me realizes that I better go to bed or I'm not a nice person. Sleep deprivation, or getting less than my desired amount of sleep is generally not good for me. So, I go to bed I'd say around 9:30 or 10:00. At midnight I feel Kenny waking me up, and all he simply said was, "Your turn." I pulled out my earplugs to discover that Kira was starting to cry. Apparently Kenny had been up with her, just laid her down, and was so tired that he needed a break. So, I get up and go get her. This poor slobbering baby is screaming by now....her poor teeth hurt so bad she can't function. From midnight until 3am, I rocked her, I played with her, gave her tylenol, fed her, while she screamed.... I did anything I could until she finally drifted off to sleep. I slept until 4:30am when I had to get up to go to work.
Try going to work, being around people who are not extremely happy that they are even at your place of employment, I was short of staff, and the air was not working. It was HOTTER inside than it was outside. Are you kidding me? Today I was not happy. But, I am thankful that I have a job to go to so I can pay my bills. And I am thankful that it was only a problem that can be fixed and I don't have to work in a factory or outside...or somewhere that it's really hot every day.
I went and picked Kira up after work...so tired I was about to cry. But, when I went and got her she had just gone down for her nap. Thankfully, when I got home she went right back to sleep...and when she woke up she played in her crib until I woke up. I am thankful I have a baby who can play for a bit alone by herself. I picked her up and took her downstairs and sat her on the floor while I took the dog out. Then I flipped open the computer to read updates on my friends' blogs. I checked out Lisa's...and apparently she has a song that Kira likes because she looked up when she heard the music and smiled...she started bobbing her little head "dancing." I am thankful I have a baby who has good hearing. I left the music on and go to feed the dog, and when I walked back in the room, Kira had found a little clothes tag and stuck it in her mouth. I got annoyed for a second because I have no idea how she finds these things. But, I am thankful that she has good eyesight and can pick things up with her little fingers even if she does stick everything in her mouth. I watched her as she went to the end table and pulled the books out that I know I shouldn't keep there. She smiles at me as she starts to throw each one on the ground. I'm thankful my baby can pull herself up to reach things, and stand up as she throws things on the floor. And, thankful she has a sense of humor because she sure thinks that she is funny. I took the books away from her so she didn't rip them up and she started to throw a tantrum, and I'm thankful that she's fiesty like me. :) I turn on the t.v. and as soon as she sees it on she heads straight for the remote. I'm thankful she's crawling, pulling herself up, and progressing like she should. I call Kenny to ask him to pick up something for dinner and some medicine for Kira. I'm happy I have him in my life...to love me and to help me. I got a text from my friend asking how my day was. I am thankful that I have friends who check on me and make sure I'm okay. Kira starts to get frustrated so I pick her up to hold her--she immediately lays her head on my shoulder to snuggle...and I'm thankful that I have a baby who loves me and who has reshaped my world. I'm easily frustrated, and easily sleep deprived, but I'm thankful for my job, my family, my friends, my health, my home, my child...and my life.
Monday, August 18, 2008
I am thankful....
Posted by Stephanie at 4:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




6 comments:
I think it's awesome you were able to turn your annoyances into things you are thankful for. That gave me a lot to think about. Sorry you had such a rough night and day at work! Teething is awful. I don't miss those nights at all.
Thank you for giving me perspective. We all need that every once in a while.
I'm sorry your night was so tough! That sucks so bad. I hope tonight is much better and the tip my mom had works! Nice job on the positive thinking, I totally need to do that more.
You know Stephanie, I love the way you can put a postive spin on all the things that little Kira is learning to do. Thanks for the reminder to look at all the good that is tied up with the little things that could be pretty frustrating. You are a great mom and have a wonderful husband and daughter. I am thankful to be a part of your family.
Way to turn a bad day into a good thing. It is so hard to do that sometimes. You're a good momma!
I really feel like we should plan a night to hang out with you guys. I miss you so much, and I haven't seen the munchkin forever. She's getting so big, and I feel like I'm missing out! What are you doing this weekend?
Wow my sitter. You have a way with words. Maybe you should write a book someday. Anyway, I know how you feel. I think every mother has at least one night like that and unfortunately others have more. It's nice that you can take a step back and say it could be worse. I should really try to do that more often. I know I'm blessed. It's easy to remember that when things are good. It's when they're not when I need to remind myself. I miss you my sitter. =(
Post a Comment