Friday, August 22, 2008

Confessions of My Obsessions

In general, this blog as a whole is about my family. Usually it is about Kira, things we do, or Kira...or Kira..... If the post has nothing to do with my family, or is something that one could be offended by, I'll write it elsewhere. You get the picture. Today I am writing about me--Stephanie. This is my confessions of my obsessions.
For as long as I can remember...my college roommates, and every roommate thereafter, can atest to this--I have been obsessed with setting my alarm clock. I set my alarm, and check it three times. I check the am/pm on the alarm to make sure I have it set correctly. Then I check the sound level, check the time again, check the sound level, and then I'm done. This is annoying, especially because the volume is up loud so I can hear it. I think I just don't ever want to be late to work. But, I'm obessed with it.
I'm also obsessed with locking the doors. This generally is only when I'm home alone at night and headed up to bed. I check the locks, and go up to bed. But, before I get into bed, I run back down the stairs and check it again. In general I don't do this tooo many times because Kenny is usually home, but really, I'm obsessed.
I'm obsessed with the garage door. This includes when I go to bed, and when I leave for work. Every day that Kenny goes into the garage or through the garage, it's this mistrust I have in him or something that he didn't shut the garage door. I always have to check it before I go to bed. I open the door, turn on the light, and see that it's shut. Then, I do it again. When I go to work in the morning, I shut the garage door, and then count to 5 before I drive away. If I don't do this, I'll seriously be half way to work, and turn around because I'm afraid that someone will steal all the stuff in my house. When I was pregnant this was REALLY bad. I would go as far as to take a photo of the closed garage door because I would be so nervous and think that I just thought I remembered shutting it. Yeah, garage door. Obsessed.
And then there's the flat iron, and hair dryer. Who cares if the hair dryer is plugged in? Most people don't. I do. Why? Because I remember reading a story where a cat knocked a hairdryer off the counter, it got turned on in the fall, and got hot, and started a fire. That's scary, right? Well, seeing as I don't have a cat, I don't know what my issue with this is. The flat iron, the same thing. I am worried I'll leave it on, and it will burn everything down. When I was pregnant, I'd again, take a picture of the power outlet in the wall so I could show myself later when I panicked that there was nothing plugged in. I'm obsessed.
I'm obsessed with leaving the oven on, even if I didn't use it. Weird. I'm obsessed with locking my car doors. I'm obsessed with checking my lights in the car to make sure they are turned off. I'm obsessed with making sure I log of my computer at work. None of these things are really a big deal...but to me, they are.
Now, my friends know this stuff about me. They tease me, but at the same time, they understand this drives me nuts. Like, I have a friend, Ashley who would walk in with me to work. We'd walk through the parking lot and just about to go inside, and I'd hesitate and start to turn around....and she'll say "No, your lights are off and your doors are locked." I'm obvious. I know.
Well, as if this wasn't enough--I have a new obsession. It's about turning the water off. Why? I'll tell you.
So, the other day I was upstairs and went to make the baby a bottle. I started her bath water so she could have a bath, and then turned on the faucet to make her bottle. The water was cold, so I turned it to warm, and walked into my room. I got the baby, got her undressed, and just started playing with her. I had a tv show on and got sidetracked. I went back in the bathroom maybe 15 minutes later....and MY BATHROOM WAS FLOODED. I'm not talking a little leak on the floor. I'm talking the whole floor was covered in atleast an inch of water. Why? Because I had the sink plugged and had forgotten, and let the water just run EVERYWHERE. I was SO MAD. I took all of the towels in the closet that I had just washed. I used them to clean the floor. The whole rest of the day I kept looking at the ceiling in the kitchen to make sure there was no water that leaked down. It was terrible. Lesson learned, right?
Well, the next day I had something soaking in the sink, and turned on the water...and walked out of the room. What happened? The sink fills up again and luckily I caught it in time. I mean, really...how hard is it?
So, I share with you my obsessions...so that when I'm late to an appointment, or a party, or work, or umm...anything, you all will know the reason. Be sure I'm checking the garage door, or the locks, or my hairdryer, or....HELLO...now, my water. I'm only 31...this can not be a good sign.

3 comments:

Becca said...

I have to say that I have witnessed this first hand. I totally feel for you, but I have to say that it kind of cracks me up! I'm really proud of you for confessing. Admitting you have a problem is the first step... ;) I think the taking of pictures is a good idea, and I can't imagine the time that it must save you. I guess ya have to do whatever works. By the way, maybe you should see someone about this problem. Maybe it can be helped by a 12 step program. Hmmm...

Troy and Julie said...

But you sure do make me laugh...with you. But so hard. You are great. Love you sister!

Stephanie said...

MEMORIES... OMG my sister. All I could do reading this is smile and chuckle. You make me laugh.