Friday, May 15, 2009

Coupon Clipper (That's right. I said COUPON CLIPPER)

So, let's be honest. Kenny works. I work. We bring in a decent amount of money. But, we also have quite a bit of debt. Even still--I have always been under the assumption that because we both work, I deserve to go to the store and buy whatever I want (when it comes to food, etc.--because I can.) I also told myself many times that I am not poor, and I don't need to be one of those penny-pinching-make a shopping list-keep track of my budget grocery shopping women. Seriously. I was really obnoxious like that.
Well, Brooke (who I love by the way) had a grocery party at her house or whatever it was called officially... and I went to it. One of her friends taught us (very simple by the way) how to save money on our grocery bill. So, I thought...well, I'll try it.
This week was the first week that I really clipped the coupons and looked for the sales. And, it may be of no interest to anyone besides myself (and Becca because she went with me)...but I was pretty proud of myself for my shopping...so let's see how I did.
(I went Albertsons and Smiths. Albertsons for most all of my shopping, but Smiths also because there were a few deals I could not pass up. )

I bought the following....

2 bottles of Wesson cooking oil
5 4 packs of Hunts pudding
5 bottles of Hunts ketchup
4 boxes of popcorn
1 package of Hot Dog buns
2 boxes of Gushers
2 boxes of fruit roll ups
3 boxes of Capri Suns
6 Easy Mac
2 loaves of bread
4 12 packs of coke products
3 Fiber One Pop Tarts
2 boxes Alberton's cereal
4 boxes of Kelloggs cereal
1 package of Mini delights
2 cartons of egg beaters
2 packages of Kraft american cheese singles
3 8oz chunks of cheese
7 boxes of Lean Pockets
2 Deli Select meat packages
8 oranges
3 boxes of Electrosol tabs (that's 60 total dishwasher loads)
2 gallons of Milk
6 packages of hot dogs
1 roast
2 bags frozen potatoes
1 10 lb bag of potatoes
1 bottle Kraft salad dressing
1 bottle Kraft bbq sauce

Now, Becca was trying to help me figure out the percentage I saved. I can't remember exactly but it was I want to say 65%. But, don't quote me on that because I don't really know how to do it with all the tax and stuff. But, If I was to pay regular price for the food I bought...I would have paid $257.45. But, I paid $95.85. Um....HELLO? What have I been wasting my money on this whole time?
Now, some of you may be wondering why in the world I bought some of this stuff. 5 bottles of ketchup, 6 packages of hot dogs etc. Well, why not buy it when I get it super cheap, instead of only buying one and then having to pay full price when that one runs out.
I'm sold. Seriously sold on this whole thing. Kenny thought I was bonkers...because I taking pictures of the food I bought...but it was entertaining to him I think. But I mean--I'm never ever going to look at shopping the same. It's totally given me a new appreciation for the money that I have been "wasting" this whole time at the grocery store.
So, yeah...I'm a coupon clipper. At first I was nervous to admit it--but, I'll say it again. I'm a coupon clipper, and proud of it.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow my sitter! You did awesome. I wish I was a coupon clipper. I tried one time, it didn't go very well. Where do you get your coupons?

Stephanie said...

Well, I get 3 sunday papers...and save all the coupons til I need them. And, I get them online. It really doesn't take too much time, but you know me and being organized--that's my biggest issue. :)

Jody said...

I'm so proud of you! Isn't it amazing how much we could have been saving all this time? I have started clipping coupons too, but it can be pretty overwhelming getting it all organized! Good Job- I love seeing what others save!

Angela said...

Wow Steph, that is awesome!!! Wahoo! My sister-in-law has a website that focuses on this too. It is www.dealstomeals.com. She even gives you recipes to make out of the stuff on sale that week. I wish I was good like that :) I just need to take the time to prepare a good ole shopping list...

Becca said...

That's totally a good job!! Taking into account the tax and stuff, you were at about 64.5%, so your 65% guess was pretty right on! Good job! I kinda felt weird doing it too, but after the savings, how can you not do it?
I went the other day and would have spent $201.85 and got it for $70.54! That's about 65% savings, too! New found hobby, I love it!

Brooke said...

YAY! Look how AWESOME you did!!! I'm SO proud of you. I feel a tear coming on. I'm so glad you are doing it and that it's working for you!!!