Friday, September 10, 2010

Bella

So, I've never really been an "animal lover." I'll admit it. I mean... I like animals. I like to play with them...and I really don't mind too much taking care of them. But, "animal lover"...not really me. Most of you know I have a little dog named Duke. He's a miniature pinture. I got him for Kenny when we first got married. He's a hyper little dog. But, he's pretty good. He's a nice dog-- well-behaved. Well, Kenny got another dog when I was pregnant with Kira. It was WAY TOO MUCH for me to handle. Two dogs, and a baby. I almost lost my mind. I really did. So, we gave him away. :(
The other day my co-worker told me about this little dog that her son's girlfriend found in the middle of traffic. They were going to take her to the animal shelter because she already had 3 dogs in the house, and just couldn't do one more. For some reason-- I panicked. I didn't want them to take her to the shelter. She told me it was a little dog-- but was so dirty, and messy, and matted hair... I felt so bad for her. So, I went and got her. She looked terrible. Her hair was so gross, and she smelled, and she had dreadlocks in her hair. :( But, I felt so bad for the little thing. I looked through all of the lost dog ads I could find-- going back months. I showed her to one girl, spoke to a couple others. I put up found dog ads... no response. I took her twice to get checked for a chip. Then, I took her to the vet. This poor tiny dog was just in a world of a mess. Her hair was so long and matted. The vet said whoever had her, neglected her really bad...and I shouldn't feel bad if I was going to keep her and take care of her.
So, that's what I did. She got her shots. I took her to the groomer. I just got her teeth cleaned today and a couple of them had to be pulled.
Here's the thing. I just love her. She is so tiny, and cute...and just so loving. She looks so much better, and has perked up so much since we've had her. She plays with Duke. She plays with her toys. She curls up in a little ball on my lap, or right at my feet.
I have no idea why on earth I wanted this dog. Maybe I felt like I was "saving" her. Or, maybe I just couldn't stand the thought of this poor thing being in the shelter, and maybe not being adopted. But, Kenny let me keep her. And, he was happy to do it. Duke is hyper, she is pretty quiet. I think they'll help balance each other out. Here she is... resting in her new home.



2 comments:

Shelby said...

Awwww! She is adorable. Kudos on saving her. You know you did the best thing for that sweet little baby. I think it was fate that brought you two together!

Stephanie said...

She is so cute! I'm not much of an animal lover either until something's wrong with one of mine and I realize that I really do like them. =) I second on the fate!