Friday, September 10, 2010

Lessons I'm Learning

I would never say that cancer is a blessing. Because, I really can't see how it is. It's painful. It's scary. It's more than scary--It's terrifying. It's deadly. And, it's makes me so sad and sick sometimes to know how much Rick is hurting-- and there's nothing I, or anything short of a medical miracle, can do for him to cure him. To stop it completely. To make sure he lives a really long life.
But, I'll tell you what I have learned so far in the last 10 months:
1. Life is so short. It is so short that it's not even funny. A year ago Rick and I would talk-- and it was good conversation. We'd chat-- or we'd complain- or we'd talk to each other's kids. But, it was just something we did. I'd get off the phone-- and say-- peace out. Or, talk to you later. But, now everytime-- cheesy or not, I tell him I love him. Because I never know if something may happen, and he doesn't wake up the next day-- I'll know the last thing he heard from me, was "Love you, bro." Or, "Love you- I'll call tomorrow." He knows that I care. And, when I see him calling... I don't think "oh, I'll call him back." I pick it up. And, I spend as much time as either of us have-- talking to him... because I don't want to regret missing one single phone call if I can.
2. The little things count. That's all. A missed call from him-- letting me know he was trying to call and talk. Or, a text message with an update from the doctor. Or, a voicemail from his kids singing happy birthday to me. Or, a picture message (like this one above.) so that I can see how he is, how he looks, and how things are. Or-- I'll call him on my way to work and leave a message...or I'll text him randomly just to say hi. I know all of those things mean the world to him-- well, and me. And, it only takes 2 seconds to do them. The little things-- they count. They really do.
3. Family. I have really learned-- the importance of my family. I call my parents more often than I ever have. I appreciate them more. I can see how much they are going through -- having a child who is so sick-- and how they are handling it...and I look to them for strength. My sister and I go through periods of talking randomly, and then daily. Keeping each other updated on our lives, on Rick's progress. It seems as though each of us play phone tag with him--but it works out so we can share what's new and make sure we are both up to date. We give each other advice, chat about kids, and life-- and I just have grown to appreciate her more than ever over the last few years. I could go on about family... but I am just glad that I have my own family (Kenny and Kira) and that I have the family that I come from-- and that I can draw strength from some of them-- I really don't know what I would do without them.
4. Health. This is probably one of the biggest things so far. My health-- is my health...and it is my job to do the best I can to stay healthy. Because, I firmly believe that had my little brother been really overweight, or really unhealthy in more ways--he would have been a lot worse off. That's not to say that his health was perfect-- but it makes me realize that there are so many ways that I can be improving my health, and I have been doing so. So, in case something like this happens... I have more than a fair shot at overcoming whatever comes my way. And, it's scary to know that this cancer could run in my genes and probably does. So, I am not taking my health for granted. And, I am doing a lot better with making better choices.

So, let's just sum it up: Cancer sucks. There are no benefits, that I can see, of having it. I am not glad that Rick has cancer. But, I am glad that I have taken this news-- and done my best to be a support to him because that is what he needs. And, while doing so-- I am learning so much about myself, and about others. And, I appreciate the time that I do have with him.

Love you, Rick. Keep hanging in there.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

This is so sad and I just hate that you and your family are going through this. You are a good sister and he is lucky to have you. Not only has this helped you to appreciate little things in your life more, but hearing his story has that effect on everyone. I know it has for me. I continue to pray for him and your family every single day. I wish there was more I could do.

Stephanie said...

Yup cancer sucks! Hang in there Rick! You too my sitter. Love you!