Sunday, October 31, 2010

Provo Halloween Half Marathon




Do you ever have one of those things... you know, those things you say like... "One day I'd like to..." or "One day I'm going to..." I'm sure we all have those things we say. I, myself, have always said..."I'm going to run a marathon, or half marathon" or something like that. Well, I finally decided to do it. And, it was hard. I started training, but didn't really follow any sort of training program. I would run on my treadmill, and run on the track. No certain distance. No certain time of the day. Just whenever I could. And, well... I decided that I was going to register and just do it. So, I did. The Halloween Half Marathon was hard. But, it was so pretty. The weather was freezing cold at the start...in the 30's...and by the time I finished the race... and was down the canyon...it was beautiful and sunny.
Here's the thing I learned about running. It's partly physical but mostly mental. I ran the first 5 miles, no problem. My breathing was fine and my legs were feeling great. After that, the road leveled out, and I was still going ok...but, I just got tired. My legs were annoyed. My mind kept saying I couldn't do it. I had quite a few talks with myself when I was running. It's a good time to have talks with myself apparently because I got a lot worked out in my own little head.
But, I did. And, I'm glad. I didn't finish first by any means. But, my goal was to finish, and to not be last. And, I for sure made that goal. And, I'm just glad that I finally did it!
I was so happy when I was almost to the finish line, and then I heard Kira's voice and she started running towards me...It was a relief to be done.
My legs are killing me. I am walking like an old lady. My knees, ankles, shoulders, stomach...well, all of me hurts. But, I'm proud of myself for sticking to it. Besides that, I got a cool medal for finishing. Now, I'm going to pick a training schedule and actually follow a schedule for my next half marathon-in April!





















6 comments:

Troy and Julie said...

K. Could you look any cuter running? Or thin? You look amazing. Great job Steph. So proud of you!!! Another in April? When and where, maybe that is possibly doable for me to join and run with you.

Stephanie said...

Awwh. You're nice! It's here in Salt Lake... on April... 16th? Or 17th? Whichever day is a Saturday. Come out and do it. That'd be awesome!!!

Jessy and Adam Baird said...

Awesome Steph! I wanted to run that one so bad but it didn't work out. Looks fun!

Lisa P. said...

that is so cool!!! someday i want to do that too.. gotta get some serious training in. if you ever need a jogging buddy just holler:) but i'm slow;)

Shelby said...

Awesome! I had no idea you were doing that. Congrats!

McKayle Hart said...

Love you, way to go STEPH! Steph Steph she's our man if she can't do it no one can! haha. You're awesome, way to achieve your goal!